Matte Painter - Concept Artist - CG Generalist
Alex Nice is professional Matte Painter with a solid understanding of all aspects of the film pipeline. Specialties include: Matte Painting, 3D Projections, Concept Art/Layout, Modeling, Lighting/Shading(Vray), 3D Cloth and Smoke Sims, and overall CG Generalist tasks.
1. Classically trained in illustration and Fine Art
2. Over ten years in the visual effects industry
3. Used Photoshop, 3Ds Max, Maya, Nuke XSI, and C4d professionally in studio environments.
4. Assistance in Matte Painting color pipeline issues and solutions.
5. Experience working Directly with VFX supervisors and Directors providing concept/layout and planning out shots effectively.
I can provide full "hero" Matte Painting shots, build them out in 3D (in any package), and recreate those projection setups in Nuke for compositors to easily get the shots finaled quickly and on time. I specialize in problem solving difficult shots.
* Recently taught at Gnomon school of VFX, where I taught Matte Painting with multiple camera 3D Projections in Maya, 3D Max, and Nuke.
Matte Painter “Secret Life Of Walter Mitty”
2013 – Matte painting full environments
Matte Painter "Oblivion"
2013 –Matte Painter for Joseph Kosinski's "Oblivion"
Matte Painting Instructor @ Gnomon School of VFX
Gnomon School of Visual Effects
January 2013 -Instructor in 3D Matte Painting and Projection techniques. Photoshop, Maya, 3Ds Max, Vray, and Nuke.
Lead Matte Painter "Pacific Rim"
July 2012 – Lead Matte Painter for Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘Pacific Rim’
Matte Painter "Elysium"
Image Engine Design Inc.
2012 - Matte Painter for Neil Blomkamp's "Elysium"
Matte Painter "Amazing Spiderman"
2012 -Matte Painter for the "Amazing Spiderman"
Matte Painter “Rock of Ages”
2011 -Matte painting for “Rock of Ages”
Matte Painter “Hess”
November 2011 – Matte Painter
Matte Painter "Hugo"
2011 - Matte Painter on Martin Scorsese's "Hugo"
Matte Painter “Mets Amaz’n”
2011 - Matte painter for "METS Amazin'"
Matte Painter “Tron Legacy”
2011 – Matte painter for Tron Legacy
Matte Painter “Priest”
2010 - Matte painter for “Priest”
Matte Painter “2012”
2009 - Matte painter for Roland Emmerich's “2012”
Matte Painter / CG Generalist “2012”
2007-2009 - Multiple national commercial car spots depicting all CG environments and vehicles rendered in Vray, and composited in Nuke.
Visual Forensics, San Ramon, CA
2002-2008 Played a pivotal role in creating over thirty 3D animated simulations and accident reenactments to be used as evidence in multi-million dollar courtroom trials.
Precision Simulations, Grass Valley, CA
2005-2008 - Provided client with scientifically accurate 3D models and scenes for numerous 3D simulations to used as evidence for courtroom litigation purposes.
Character Designer / Modeler - Freelance
2005-2007 · Provided 3D cartoon characters and model design sheets for a children’s television show at the rate of one finalized, animation ready character per month.
Temple Games, San Leandro, CA -
2004-2005 Provided high resolution Illustrated game card designs depicting game characters for a card based game titled Chizo Rising.
Sabel Engineering -
2004 - Product Design Visualization - Provided client with detailed, 6 minute 3d animation of highly technical Automatic Product Packager. Final animation was edited with sound and delivered on DVD to be used as marketing material.
Advanced Stent Technologies -
2004 - Provided client with several sophisticated 3d medical animations depicting an Angioplasty of a human artery, for medical training and presentation purposes.
Litigation Animation, San Jose, CA
2004 - Created courtroom simulations involving pedestrians and motor vehicle accidents. Assisted in the location filming of multiple accident reenactments.
Cycore, San Mateo, California
2001 - Contributed to the development of PuppetTime Producer, an interactive web event driven animation tool during the dotcom boom.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Expert skills in Matte painting as well as Concept and Layout for film
• Solid grasp of traditional art mediums Oils, Watercolor, Pastels
• Ten years experience in 3ds Max dating back to 3d Studio dos R1
• Expert skills in Photoshop and Painter for digital matte painting and image manipulation
• Skills in AfterFX and Nuke
• Full understanding of image formats, color, Gamma and Luts.
• Working knowledge of rendering systems such as VRAY and Mental Ray for production pipeline
• Understanding of setting up 3d Projections in 3dsMax, C4D, XSI and Nuke,
• Excellent understanding of Film and digital video production pipelines
• Understanding of other tools such as Boujou Tracking, Image Stitching, and HDRI protography.
EDUCATION AND RELEVANT COURSES
Art Academy San Francisco
Diablo Valley College